In the ordinary (normal) form of the Roman Rite of the celebration of Mass, altar servers have the following responsibilities during:
- Entrance: Servers are to act as thurifer with burning incense (if incense is used at the Mass), cialis as bearers of lighted candles flanking another carrying the cross and as other participants in the entrance procession.
- Servers hold the liturgical books for the celebrant when he is not at the altar and is proclaiming the presidential prayers with outstretched hands. They bring and hold such things as books, thuribles, lavabo bowl and towel, patens, communion bowls, and microphones.
- Proclamation of the Gospel: At the preceding Alleluia or other chant, the thurible is presented to the priest for him to put incense in it, and then for the proclamation of the Gospel servers precede the priest or deacon to the ambo, perhaps carrying candles and incense.
- Beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist: Servers arrange the corporal, the purificator, the chalice, the pall, and the Missal on the altar, and then assist the priest in receiving the bread and wine and cheap viagra professional perhaps other gifts that are presented to him. They present the cruets of wine and water for the priest or deacon to pour some into the chalice. If incense is used, the thurible and incense are presented to the priest and, at least if there is no deacon, a server then incenses the priest and the people. When the priest then washes his hands standing at the side of the altar, a server pours the water over them.
- Consecration: A server rings a bell as a signal to the people shortly before the consecration and, where it is the local custom, rings the bell also when the priest displays the consecrated host and chalice to the people. If incense is used, a server incenses the host and the chalice while these are being shown.
- Sign of Peace: The servers receive the sign of peace from the priest or deacon within the sanctuary.
- Recessional: The servers accompany the priest as at the entrance procession.
If you, your children, family member or friend are considering the possibility of join our church in this Ministry please call the church Rectory/office for more information.